Thursday, March 09, 2006

Dating Horrors & Embarrassments

Well, my own story is more funny than it is embarrassing but at the time, it was plenty embarrassing.

I was 16 and had a "flexible curfew." That meant try to get home by midnight but if I wasn't going to make it, call home and give my Mom my best guesstimate of when to expect me. I actually didn't try to bend the rules too often and I chose not to stay out past 9 or 10 on a school night because, by 16, I was already past high school curriculum and was taking college-level courses. I wanted to go to college after taking a year off after high school graduation but that's another story for another day.

Back to the dating scene. My steady boyfriend at the time had a nicely appointed station wagon and, with the back seat down, we'd park backwards at the drive-in, watching the movie out the open back as we snuggled up under the covers. Funny how he liked playing the mature male (he was about 20 or so) and insisted that we meet all my Mom's rules and he wouldn't take me out if my G.P.A. threatened to droop. What an old nanny he turned out to be.

So this one evening at the drive-in, the movie must really have been extremely boring and we'd necked as far as we were going to go so we had nothing left..to..keep..us..awake. That's right. We fell sound asleep, BOTH of us snoring away.

I came slowly awake to see a long shadow beginning to loom over my boyfriend's car. I almost screamed. I nudged him. He wouldn't wake up. I nudged him again. More snoring.

Then the shadow became a live human being. It was the drive-in manager or security guard or some employee who leaned down and said, "Wake up, kiddies. Show's over. Time to go home," just as I delivered a final powerful wallop to my boyfriend's ribs and he came awake with a jolt.

We both stared out at the drive-in. Ours was the only car there. It was time to cue the "Twilight Zone" music. Very creepy.

The employee said it again, "Wake up, time to go."

We scrambled back through the car to the front seat. I quickly got over the horror and now thought it was hysterically funny and was having a difficult time suppressing my giggles. My boyfriend, however, was in a CRANKY MOOD. Either he woke up too fast or he was just pissed off at getting caught like that in an embarrassing situation but he gunned the motor and took off over the humps of the parking lot... but he'd forgotten to disconnect the speaker from his car door!

The window never cracked. Instead, the speaker was ripped off the stand and stayed glued to the car as my boyfriend roared out of the drive-in.

We were having a huge custody battle over who got to keep that speaker by the time we pulled up in front of my house. I said the boyfriend always let the girlfriend have what she wanted. That was like in the official by-laws of girlfriendship-boyfriendship. Everybody knew that.

He claimed the speaker since it was HIS car it got stuck to and HE PAID for the drive-in. I gave in, not because I thought his argument beat mine but because I saw it really meant more to him than it did to me.

As he dropped me off in front of my house, the thin fringes of daylight were just starting to break. My Mom let me in the door and all of a sudden, the whole thing got embarrassing again. It was almost 5:00 A.M. I'd spent the whole night SLEEPING with my boyfriend. I told my Mom what happened and she laughed. She knew I didn't do all that on purpose. And then she said, "Tell me again about the part where the movie speaker ripped off." Oh, we had thought about stopping to give it back but my boyfriend didn't know if he'd have to pay hundreds of dollars to replace it and he didn't have that kind of money, so... he kept on driving.

And ever after that, anytime one of my oldies stations played the Everly Bros.', "Wake Up, Little Susie," my Mom couldn't resist saying that was Greg's and my song.




I love reading funny stories about other peoples' dating horror stories and embarrassing moments, so here's a few links to those:

I Hate Men

That's Embarrassing!!

The Prom Site

Ecadamy

Things That Make You Go Ooof



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home