Sunday, January 22, 2006

ABC Defends Cancellation of Graham Comedy

ABC Defends Cancellation of Graham Comedy
Jan 22 4:53 AM US/Eastern
PASADENA, Calif.


One minute, Heather Graham was the face of ABC. The next minute, she was gone. Her comedy series "Emily's Reasons Why Not" was promoted relentlessly by the network as the linchpin of its post-football Monday night schedule, but was only given one airing before being yanked earlier this month.

ABC committed to the big promotional campaign before even seeing a script for the show, said ABC entertainment president Stephen McPherson on Saturday. The series turned out to be a dog creatively, he indicated.

A total of six episodes were filmed, and McPherson said no determination has been made about whether they would be burned off.

COMPLETE ARTICLE

When I saw the massive promos for this show, just from that alone I thought I would hate this show. I hate all representations of women as bubbleheaded brainless airhead something-less-than-human walking talking vaginas (because f*cking them is their main function on this planet - women don't need any other attributes). I really, really hate that stuff and I think it is damaging to allow young women and girls to soak that sewage up into their minds. Shows and movies like that are virtual lessons in how to devalue your own worth as a human being.

Somehow, I was stuck watching the one show that aired. I think my Mom had her TV tuned in because of another show that was coming on or had just aired and when I am caring for her, we watch what she wants and since she knows her favorite shows are mostly ABC, she's afraid to change the channel.

I was actually surprised. Sure enough, it was a piece of airhead fluff but with a slightly feminist-flavored statement wafting through it. I didn't much care for the goofy cartoony characters but I got the part about how this girl Emily was striking out on her own and determined to live her life by her standards and stick to them. That is admirable. That's a good lesson to teach.

I think the show could have become something. But one airing and it got the axe. That's Hollywood
.
Somebody must have caught onto the real-girl-sneaking-in-to-the-party-in-airhead-disguise and so she was shown the exit door.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home